Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Cure for the Common Cold, Chicken Noodle Soup (-the noodle)

If you read my previous post, you learned that I hate canned carrots.  But, I have so many in my garden that I need to preserve some of them in canned form.  The rest will just go down in the root cellar.  Just about the only thing I will eat canned carrots in is Chicken Noodle Soup. So I decided to make some. 

 Besides, it is the cure for the common cold ya know ;-)

I do not put noodles in my soup when canning.  The reason?  I do not like mushy noodles.  All you have to do is get some yummy egg noodles, and boil them in water.   While they are cooking you reheat a jar of the soup.  Once the noodles are cooked you drain and add them to your soup.  Bing, Bang, Boom, No more mushy noodles.

I know a wonderful lady at my local farmers market who has free range pastured poultry, and all natural grass fed beef.  (here is her blog http://countrychickengirl.blogspot.com, I love  Kathi she's awesome!)  Yesterday, I bought one of her big chickens to make this.  The chicken I bought from her is about 4.5 pounds.  You can use a bigger chicken, or smaller depending on the amount of soup you would like to make.

First thing I did was thaw out my chicken and rinse it off, inside and out (I threw away the heart and liver).  I wore gloves when I did this just because I'm a little OCD about Germs.  I then grabbed my giant stainless steel heavy bottom pot, tossed my chicken in there, and filled it up with water, until it covered my chicken by about 1 inch of water.

Turn the heat on high and bring to a boil.  Once it starts to rapid boil, you'll want to turn your heat to a medium high, or 6.5 on my stove, just so it simmers.

As it cooks, the chicken will start to float up to the top of the water.  This is fine, just make sure to stir it around periodically and turn it over in the process.

You'll want to keep stirring it periodically.  At this point, my chicken has been in the pot about 2ish hours. 
(I didn't actually time it, but you'll want to cook it until it's joints get loose or the meat falls off the bone.)

Once it's cooked you'll want to remove it from you broth.  I let it rest/cool off for a little while. 

While the chicken is cooling, I turn my stove up to high and bring my broth back up to a rapid boil.

Then I start cleaning and chopping up my veggies.

Get out your handy dandy veggie scrubber and start cleaning!  Scrub all of the dirt and grim off your carrots.

Chop of the tops and the ends.  If you have rabbits, (like me)  they love the greens from carrots.  Or you can add them to your compost pile if you don't.

I slice my carrots pretty thin, maybe a 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch.

This is a 4 cup measuring cup, and as you can see, my cup runnith over.

So once I have all of my carrots cut up, I get all of the meat off of my chicken.  Make sure that you do not include the cartilage, or the bones.  This can take a little while to do, especially if your chicken isn't cool enough.  This ended up being about 5 cups of meat.

I add the chicken, back into the pot.  Along with 1 large Vadilla onion, 2 cups of chopped celery, and 2 cloves of Garlic.  All of which I got at my local Farmers Market. 

I <3 my Farmers Market!  And everyone who works there!

  I also added 1 T of canning salt, and pepper to taste.  

You can add other herbs if you want, but keep in mind, if you use fresh herbs their flavors tend to intensify once pressure canned. (I didn't add any to mine)


I let my soup boil and cook for about 5 minutes; then I added my carrots in.

 I let it cook a little longer, but only as long as it took me to wash, peel, and cube 5 fist sized potatoes.  Then add them to the mix. 

I only let them cook about 5 more minutes.  You don't want to cook them thru.  Remember you will be pressure canning them and they will cook thru in there.  If you cook your potatoes all the way thru, they will either disintegrate, or be very, very, very mushy.  No bueno either way.

I put them in Hot Sterilized Jars.  Wipe the rims and put the lids on.  As you can see some jars will have more goodies in it then others.  I actually ended up with about 5 jars of nothing but chicken stock (which you can still can with your soup and use in other recipes)

I added 3 quarts of Boiling water and 2 T of Vinegar to my pressure caner before adding the jars.  Then I put the pressure caner on high until steam comes out of the top and the safety pops up.  Then I add my weight (15 pounds of pressure).  Once it starts to rock gently I set my timer for 1 hour 15 minutes for pints, and 1 hour 30 minutes for quarts.   Once your time is up, remove your caner from the heat, allow the pressure to dissipate, the safety to drop, and remove your jars.

This is what they look like when they come out of the caner. 

I ended up with 18 pints and 1 quart jar of Common Cold Cure.

When it comes time to cook, just boil up some egg noodles and add them to your soup when you are reheating it.  Never have a mushy noodle again!

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will also be canning some chicken soup. Thanks for being such a wonderful customer. If your readers are interested in our free range chickens, they can check out our website or like the "Open A Bar 2 Ranch" on facebook.

    Our website is: http://www.openabar2ranch.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've been looking at various canning recipes and I have one question, why do you add vinegar to your canner? I've never heard of that done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have hard water it prevents the white powder from forming on the jars :)

      Delete
  3. JAMES ELIOT, i want to give almighty praise to DR OLUBAOLUBA who help me cure Herpes simplex virus, please help me to give thanks to him he is a great man who God send from heaven to save people’s life, when i contacted this deadly virus i thought that was the end of the world, latter did i know that there is a man called DR OLUBAOLUBA OF AFRICA who has made a breakthrough in the cure of HSV-1 and HSV-2 cure with herbs when i confided in a friend here in SOUTH AFRICA he told me about this man called DR OLUBAOLUBA and how he cured the mum and dad of HSV-1 and HSV-2 after two years of living with this deadly diseases he told me of the cost and procedure i felt it worth a try after i have been spending so much in the drugs to make me live like every normal human being so i contacted DR OLUBAOLUBA and did as he commanded without missing words he did all he needed to do and sent me the herbs here in south Africa through DHL i took it as he directed it was exactly 14 days as DR OLUBAOLUBA has spoken when he emailed me and told me to go for a check up again and i went, to my greatest surprise i tested negative i felt it was a dream so i went to three different hospital and it was still negative then i cried out in a loud voice and people gathered in the hospital and i told them my story in tears how this man called DR OLUBAOLUBA have saved my life and they started demanding for his mail to contact him it was only last week my friend Vanessa who was HSV positive came back from visiting DR OLUBAOLUBA as a healthy woman i told her about DR OLUBAOLUBA you can reach him through his emai address olubahivherbalcure@gmail.com or +2348131258106 he never fails hold on my friend don't cry no more when our helper is here i believe in him am sure you will be lucky as i am too just email him on olubahivherbalcure@gmail.com he is a savior of life.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help me thank Dr Ehigie.am happy to share this grate news,i am here today with grate joy in my heart to testify on how Dr Ehigie Helped me create a complete family. I have been married for 6years without Happiness (A SON), have visited many medical doctor and herbal doctor here in UK but no one could help me and my husband has grate love for babies but it was hard for us, we were at the stage of loosing all hope when i was referred to an African Herbal Doctor, The lady that directed me to him said Dr Ehigie cured her of Herpes infection and she assured me that he is a professional that he can solve all problem, i actually contacted him and explain how i have suffered for 6 years and he told me to be happy that i will be able to conceive a child after 20days of his herbal treatment, i said AMEN and followed his process and he sent me a Herbal Medicine with instruction regarding consumption for 20 days and i did exactly as he said. Glory be to Almighty God for using Dr Ehigie to shame my enemies, my child is 3 years old and i am pregnant again. I now have a happy family, When i look at my husband i see grate joy in him unlike before when we don't have a child. You will not know how happy and fulfilled i am now if you are not childless. My heart desire is considered GRANTED with the intervention of DR Ehigie. You can contact him via Email: dr.ehigiehomeofsolution@gmail.com,He can also solve menopause, Menstruation problems, Low sperm count, Loose weight. He can as well Help you get your lover or husband back, Contact Dr EHIGIE and get your heart desire granted. Email.dr.ehigiehomeofsolution@gmail.com....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am Joyce Benson, I want to testify about how Dr.Ekpiku help me to cure my herpes virus. It was in my brain causing constant pounding and messing with my sight. It tingles at the base of my spine all the time and messes hugely with my bowel function. My right leg was numb and I can not sleep at night because of the symptoms. This was hell on earth. I have tried everything to get off the virus but nothing comes out good on it. I saw so many testimony on how Dr. Ekpiku the herbs medicine man help to cure so many people herpes. So i contact him for help and tell him my herpes problem. He assure me that i will be negative after he finish casting the spell for 48 hours. He cast the spell and asked me to go for check-up after three days of casting the spell, Luckily for me were tested herpes negative, now I believe all these Testimonies about him on the internet, he is truly a great man, I am now free from herpes all thanks goes to Dr. Ekpiku for what he did in my life...If you are out there have herpes problem or any other disease you have to seek for his help because he is going to help you cure your herpes or any other sickness. email him on: Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com or Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or call him +2348073673757) THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all HERPES patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for HERPES or any cure for HERPES,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how DR Aba prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the HERPES DRUGS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email:dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com his WHATSAPP number is +2348107155060

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr oku and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. oku telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email :{okutemple@gmail.com} contact him now to help you too, you can also reach him on phone +2347053113465

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXPERIENCED HACKER FOR HIRE.....WE SPECIALIZE IN HIGH GRADE UNLOCKING,PHONE TRACKING,DATABASES HACK,CODE ENCRYPTION,UNTRACEABLE IP,WEBSITES HACK,BANK TRANSFERS,CREDITS CARD HACK,CLEARING OF CRIMINAL RECORDS,EMAIL ADDRESS HACKING,COMPANY RECORDS HACKING. WE CAN EVEN PUT YOUR NAME IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.
    CONTACT ASAP ON hackass099@gmail.com
    SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE SHOULD CONTACT....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everybody,
    I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since last three years with my boyfriend but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr Aba the great healer,I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr Aba cure his herpes I was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr Aba brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com you can call him or whatsApp his number +2348107155060

    ReplyDelete